Every year, scholarships are available for Nigerians to study abroad, easing financial stress and allowing students to concentrate more on their studies. These scholarships cover a range of educational levels and specialties. The Chevening Scholarship for Nigerians is one of these financial aid options.
The United Kingdom government’s Chevening international awards program fosters the growth of world leaders. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and other cooperating organizations provide the funding.
World-changers and future leaders from all over the world can take advantage of Chevening’s opportunity to expand their networks, engage with British culture, and forge enduring bonds with the UK while also advancing their academic and professional careers.
The two prize categories that Chevening typically grants are Chevening Fellowships and Chevening Scholarships. British high commissions and embassies around the world always personally choose the winners of either of these awards.
Nigerians can also apply for scholarships to study in Australia, Canada, Germany, and other nations.
Chevening Scholarship Nigeria
Outstanding Nigerian students can receive scholarships to study for a one-year master’s degree in any subject at any UK university.
The scholarships are fully funded, covering all of your expenses, including tuition at the university, the cost of obtaining a visa, travel to and from the UK, a travel grant to attend Chevening events in the UK, an arrival allowance, an outgoing allowance, and monthly stipends.
This frees you up to concentrate on pursuing your academic and professional objectives as well as living the experience of a lifetime.
Qualification for the 2024/2025 Chevening Scholarship
A Chevening scholarship applicant must meet the following requirements:
1. At the time your application is submitted, you must have earned an undergraduate degree from a UK university that will allow you to enroll in a postgraduate program. This is comparable to a second-class upper (2:1) university degree from Nigeria.
2. Have two years or more of job experience. The following types of work experience are acceptable for Chevening Scholarships: paid or unpaid internships, part-time work, full-time job, voluntary work, and part-time work.
Work experience can be acquired before to, during, or following the completion of your undergraduate studies. Work done as part of your SIWES or industrial training would not qualify as required employment that counted toward your undergraduate degree.
Keep in mind that you are not required to fulfill the work experience criteria within one tenure of employment. To satisfy the criteria, you may submit up to ten separate job periods. If you have had more than ten roles, it is advised that you enter the time periods that account for the most work hours.
- At least two years after your scholarship has expired, go back to Nigeria.
- Before the deadline, satisfy the Chevening English Language Requirement.
- You should have gotten an offer from at least one of the three UK universities you applied to.
Please take note that the Chevening body will reject applications that are not eligible. Therefore, it’s crucial that you confirm your eligibility before submitting an application. Additionally, keep in mind that incomplete or incorrect applications will not be considered.
You are not eligible to apply for a Chevening scholarship program if:
- You work for Her Majesty’s Government, the Association of Commonwealth Universities, British embassies/high commissions, the Department for International Development, the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy, the Ministry of Defense, the Department of International Trade, or a relative of an employee (as of July 2023).
- You have British citizenship, or you have both.
- You previously attended school in the UK on a scholarship provided by the UK government.
If you work for, have previously worked for, or are related to someone who works for a Chevening Partner Organization, you are eligible to apply for the scholarship but are not eligible to earn a Chevening Partner Award from that organization.
English Language Requirements for Chevening
Proof of English language proficiency is one of the prerequisites for Chevening Scholarship eligibility. Candidates must provide proof that they have met the English requirement for Chevening. This needs to be completed as soon as feasible by either:
- Taking an English language test: Chevening accepts tests from five different providers;
- Pearson PTE Academic
- C1 Advanced (formerly Cambridge English)
- TOEFL iBT
- IELTS (Paper or Computer Based)
- Trinity ISE II (B2)
The tests must to be valid, which means they had to be taken on or after August 1, 2023.
- According to the UKVI exempt categories, applicants are not have to submit an English language exam in order to be considered for a Chevening Scholarship in these nations. That list does not include Nigeria.
Making Course Selections
You must be careful when selecting a course because you cannot modify it after submitting your application.
Your courses ought to:
- Be full-time.
- lead to the completion of a master’s degree.
- begin during the fall semester (September/October).
- Be based on a course rather than research.
Your coursework shouldn’t include:
- distance education.
- Duration is less than nine months.
- greater than a year in length.
- with a PhD.
Interview Preparation Tips
You can receive an interview invitation after completing the prerequisites and submitting an application for the scholarship. You will receive an invitation to the Chevening Scholarship interview at the British Embassy in the nation if you are selected for further consideration. You have a fantastic opportunity to be chosen for a scholarship during the interview.
You would be required to send the following files to the Chevening online application portal before receiving an invitation:
- copies of your transcripts and/or certifications.
- two letters of references.
- a brief biography that provides additional details about you.
When you go for the interview, you must bring your passport or other official identification. In order to avoid being late for your interview, you might choose to reserve a hotel close to Victoria Island, where the British Embassy is situated.
How to Apply for British Chevening Scholarship Nigeria
To apply for cheveving scholarship program 2024/2025 Nigeria, visit www.chevening.org scholarship Nigeria or Follow the link Here to submit your application.
We hope to assist you with any other details you will need. GOOD LUCK!